Friday 26 October 2007

Phuket Town Gurdwara



How, amazing was this, here I was in a strange place all by self, and feeling quite lonely, then during the Kin Jay festival I met a Singh from Delhi who comes to Phuket for business, he told me that there is a gurdwara and have I been, I told him no and no. He told me where it was and later that day I went there to see for myself.

And as promised there it was, a beautiful structure decorated in marble and gold (paint) in the middle of Phuket town, I met the Raagis there who were pleased to see me, but not as pleased as I was too see them!

I got talking to them, they told me that their name (the fathers) is Gurbakhshish Singh and he's from India, here for a month to do kirtan at the gurdwara before they go back to India. As it happened that day they had started an Akhand Paath for Gurprub and bhog was on the Sunday, they asked me to come and I did everyday until the bhog.

They were saying that there is sangat here in Phuket Town but not that much and they only see sangat on the sunday, during the week days they see maximum two people for the evening diwan.

I was so over the moon, and when I got to my hotel which was only 10 minutes from then gurdwara I could actualy see the gurdwara from my window, what a blessing!

The gurdwara, if you are ever in Phuket town is located at corner of Suthat Road and Damong Road and on some maps is listed as 'Indian temple'.

2 comments:

H said...

There is always someone looking over us all the time. :-)

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.